Wednesday, April 21

Expecting and the Unexpected

Pregnancy, as much as we now can know along the way, is filled with surprises. While "expecting," there are so many moments of being caught unexpectedly. And labor and delivery are about the most unexpected - no telling when or how it will happen.

As most of you know, we were surprised last week by the six week early delivery of little Beckett. I woke up early Tuesday morning on one of my many trips to the bathroom and noticed extra liquid on my way back to bed. Half asleep and not really thinking too hard about it, I went back to sleep. At 6:30, I got up for the day - getting the kids ready and dressed for work (keep calm and carry on!). More liquid. Not the gush like in movies but enough and consistently enough to have me wondering if my water had broken. Half in denial (because six weeks early was too early, and I really though I'd have a May baby), I called the doctor for a consult. He said to head to the hospital to get checked out.

So, I threw a hospital bag together (just in case we had to stay because surely I wasn't going to deliver today) while Michael took the kids to school. I alerted Clare that she might have to get the kids. And we were off to the hospital.

On the way, we alerted grandparents, and I realized that it was April 13. There are three generations of George Clare Harper's born on the 13th of the month. I mentioned to Michael that we might have to reconsider the baby's name, changing it from Edward to George Beckett. This baby would also be the 13th grandchild on the Behmer side (lucky number!).

Sure enough, after assessing everything at the hospital, my water had broken and I was 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Tuesday, April 13 was going to be the day! By 11:00 am, I was having mild but regular contractions every 3 minutes. By 12:30, I started having stronger contractions, feeling faint and ready to pass out (I'm good at that in hospitals). Screw going natural! I called for pain meds. And then Michael called the nurse because I was looking pale.

I was 7 cm and the anesthesiologist was on the way. But within what felt like minutes, I was at 10 cm and the anesthesiologist hadn't made it. Squeezing Michael's hand and trying to breath would have to do. The nurse yelled for the doctor to come, and I had to hold off pushing. The doctor and medical student arrived fairly quickly (which is relative to the state I was in). Three pushes, and Beckett was born! Michael cut the umbilical cord. I got my original wish to go natural (thank goodness for fast labor).

Beckett was placed on my chest for a short minute and then whisked off to be checked and cleaned. He had a perfect APGAR score, weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and measured 19", was wrapped up and given to Michael (I got a peek at his face), given some oxygen, and then taken to the nursery with Dad's escort. Beckett had to stay in the nursery, and I saw him briefly on my way to the postpartum room. I finally got to touch him again later that day and to hold him the next day. Such a strange feeling to have him away from me.

A whirlwind day! How thankful we are that Beckett is in good shape for being born early, that preemie care is so good, for modern medicine, for quick labor, for friends and a nearby sister to take care of Asher and Harper, and, for me, for Michael being there all along.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

e said...

what a story, Alexa! I remember you in labor with Asher so so so well, you are always one to keep your composure!
I'm praying for beautiful Beckett and eager for the post saying he is home!!

love to the 5 of you!!
e

M said...

I am so grateful that it all turned out so well. I find it frustrating (although understandable) that the one who does all the work (you) has gotten to see the baby the least. Thanks for the story. I've been wondering. Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers!