Friday, November 6

My Daughter the Alien (or Why Harper May No Longer Wear Just a Sundress on Cold Winter Days)

The cool weather in Colorado brings many charms - changing and falling leaves, hot chocolate, easy excuses for taking it easy, fires in the fireplace, fun with snow, bowls of soup . . . and the daily struggle to get Harper dressed in something other than a sundress. Because Harper really dislikes, can't stand, won't tolerate, absolutely hates wintertime clothes. And she hates them every day.

I know this because every cold day that Harper needs to get dressed (which means twice a day - in the morning and then again after nap because she strips as soon as she walks in the house) we nearly have a knock down, drag out fight about putting on leggings (calling them tights or princess pants held no charm) and a jacket. She has yet to wear socks to school. They just don't fit with her favorite ballet type slipper shoe.

Fortunately for Harper, I don't press the issue of clothes when it's over 50 degrees even when the cute leotard with attached tutu really isn't enough clothing and the nice elderly lady at the doctor's office comments that she should have a jacket on. Most people who see my little icepop daughter are quite tolerant of her clothing choices (and her mom's seeming lack of common sense).

I have recently reformed my standard a little, slightly lifting the bar as to how much clothing Harper needs to wear. Chalk it up to the call I got one Friday at work from Harper's school that she had a rash all over her body. Coming off three days of being at home with a sick Harper and a snow day, I was surprised to be called (and maybe a little slow in leaving work). I tried to figure out on my way to school why Harper would have a rash - no new soaps or lotions in the house, possibly an illness or part of her cold . . .

When I got to Harper's school, she was chatting it up with the secretary and indeed had a strange skin coloring. But it wasn't a rash. She was COLD. Uh huh. Cold. And when she gets really cold, she kind of looks like an alien, her skin all mottled, white and pink/purplish. One of the school personnel was really worried about Harper and suggested maybe she had a systemic or circulatory problem and that I should get it checked by a doctor. Mommy guilt in tow, I took Harper home to "watch her." But 5 minutes later, warmed up, she looked perfectly fine.

And so, despite the tears and fighting and hitting and attempts at biting Momma's hand, I am dead set on Harper wearing more clothes (and being so thankful for 70 degree days in winter when Harper can happily run around in her sundress).

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

M said...

If it's any consolation, my children, while not quite as stubborn as Harper, also have moments when they refuse to dress for the weather. It think it's a kid thing. Meanwhile, perhaps the Caribbean is calling her name?

Nammy said...

Lucky me - as long you picked out the coat (as in went to the store with me and picked it out), you would wear it.
As for alien skin - that is something else she inherited from Nanna. Poor kid!

Lori said...

I feel your pain completely...although, Harper may have a stronger stubborn streak than Josie (or maybe time has softened my memories). The Cupcake Tshirt at the fancy wedding last month is still fresh in my mind and still slightly painful but when I look at it from this side of the fence, I'm slightly amused that Harper tests you the way Josie tests me. Maybe it's just the fact that I know I'm not alone in my suffering. Someday, we'll be so happy that our daughters are strong willed & have opinions. Until then, let's hope we all survive the Appropriate Clothing Phase. Your post truly helps me feel less defensive, so thanks--from one pained mom to another.