Friday, October 30

Asher's Fifth Birthday - Celebrating His Favorite Things

I have so many posts to catch up on for Asher and Harper, starting with Asher's fifth birthday. Asher turned five on September 23, and we celebrated his birthday the following Saturday. He and I tried to work out a "theme," mostly because I like themes for things (birthdays, presents, blogs) even though our theme birthday parties are super low key. We ended up having a birthday that celebrated Asher's favorite things. He wanted to have his friends over for dinner (and I insisted on Harper being included to Asher's determination otherwise) so we had his favorite foods (favorite burritos, as we call them and which are these ghastly frozen burritos, juice, corn dogs and watermelon), his good friends, play time in the backyard, and a dinosaur cake (with decorating help from Jaden and Asher). What fun we all had!

To my and Michael's amazement, we now have a five year old. We are starting to see the blessings of this age - more independence, less crying, thoughtful discussions, creativity, a little less running off out of sight of a parent, growing self-awareness. When Asher's motivated to go out, he can get himself completely dressed from choosing clothes to putting on and zipping his jacket. He can buckle himself in the car (except when he loses his arms in his jacket). He asks wonderful question. He can recognize all of his numbers and is beginning to sound out words. He continues to have a scary good memory.

No comments: