Monday, July 6

Harper is 3!

We celebrated Harper's third birthday a few days before her birthdate, June 1, with a "princess tea party," according to the princesses wishes. Friends joined us in our backyard for tiaras, tea, sword battles, an appearance by Batman (aka Asher), and rides in the yellow wagon, courtesy of Davis Lowe. One of my favorite moments of the day was when Harper came out in her usual princess shoes and princess skirt (worn under her dress) with a sword. She can be quite the princess warrior!

Both my kids were pretty mild - though not harmless - two-year-olds and tackle(d) being three-years-old with a vengeance. I remember with Asher and am experiencing it again with Harper a fierce battle for independence and "me do it!" even when it's quite clear they will not be able to do. I'm sure if they knew how to swear they'd add in expletives.

As I watched Asher at three and watch Harper at three, I have begun to think we should call this age not "preschooler" but "bumper." So our kids move from infant to baby to toddler to bumper because my kids are constantly bumping around at this age. At Harper's three year check up, the doctor checked Harper's legs and pronounced, "Nice and bruised. Just the way they should be." Harper has new bruises and boo-boos all over, all the time from any number of bumps to the leg, arm, hand, head, back, stomach . . .

No comments: